Guiding principles on FAIR data management in life sciences
The ELIXIR hub has published a set of guiding principles on FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) Data Management.
- Open sharing of research data is a core principle for publicly-funded research and ELIXIR encourages all funders to adopt Open Data mandates.
- Data Management is crucial part of good scientific practice and research excellence.
- Whenever possible, biological research data should be submitted to the recommended community deposition databases.
- All data submitted to Open Data archives must be annotated in accordance with community-defined standards.
- ELIXIR Nodes are the national implementation of a harmonised FAIR Data Management programme for the life sciences.
- FAIR data management requires professional skills and adequate resources.
- Good research data management requires appropriate funding for data infrastructures.
Read ELIXIR’s position paper to see the guiding principles in full.